Monday, February 26, 2007

Philosophy: principles and problems

Easy reading for those with some background in philosophy -at least for those who have read some history of philosophy and will not feel embarrased on hearing the names of Kant and Hegel dropped in without much explanation. I found the chapters about Time and God real joys to read.

This book is not an introduction to philosophy and does not teach philosophy. It presents Scruton's views about several philosophical themes. Would I purchase the book again? Probably. Why? I loved it. The chapter about time is a real pleasure and his treatment of God, though incomplete, will be with me for quite some time. His prose is at times poetic without becoming vane.

Scruton arose in me a deeper desire of learning more about Kant 's philosophy. He helps me understand a little better the concept of sacred as based on the subject. I think that looking into the philosophy of religion might be worthwhile even for those who call themselves atheist!

No comments: